Press Release : 26 July, 2013
Chitradurga Deputy Commissioner Office Swarmed by Hundreds of Villagers and Thousands of Sheep Protest against illegal diversion of Grasslands intensifies
● Over 1,000 people gather along with 4,000 sheep protest against handing over of Amrithmahal Kavals to DRDO, IISC, BARC and other institutes
● Noted Writer Banjagere Jayaprakash and others address the rally and condemn the government’s move in illegally diverting Amrithmahal Kavals
● Residents of 80 villages threaten to boycott Lok Sabha polls if illegal diversion of Amrithmahal Kavals not reversed
● Memorandum submitted to DC highlighting severe impacts on rural life and asking for their rightful access to Kavals to be restored
● DC assures that until the cases are settled in the court, access to grazing, water and other needs in the Kavals will be reinstated
The massive diversion of around 10,000 acres of Amrithmahal Kavals in Challakere Taluk in Chitradurga District for a variety of industrial, defence, institutional and infrastructure developments by the Deputy Commissioner of Chitradurga since 2009 has caused widespread concern. The diversion has caused agony to thousands of pastoral and farming families dependent on the Kavals for their livelihoods, as various beneficiaries of land have begun project activities by building high walls and thus blocking access to the Kavals. These developments have been challenged before the Hon’ble High Court of Karnataka and the Hon’ble National Green Tribunal (Southern Zone).